Supreme Court to Add Four New Judges in coming two to four days. Right now, Supreme Court of India have 27 Judges in total including Chief Justice Ranjan Gogoi. After addition of these four new Judges, the total count goes to 31.
Below are the four Judges who are going to be appointed on the Apex Court of India.
- Justice Aniruddha Bose (Jharkhand High Court)
- Justice A.S. Bopanna (Gauhati High Court)
- Justice Bhushan Ramkrishna Gavai (Bombay High Court)
- Chief Justice Surya Kant (Himachal Pradesh High Court)
Those of you who don’t know, the President of India, appoints a Judge in Supreme Court with recommendations from the Collegium. Collegium on the other hand is a group of senior Judges of the Apex court lead by Chief Justice of India.
The above four Judges are appointed by 5 member collegium led by CJI Ranjan Gogoi.
Justice Bhushan Ramakrishna Gavai now falls down in the queue of becoming the Chief Justice of India in Year 2025. He will be the third Dalit Judge of Supreme Court of India after Justice KG Balakrishnan. Justice Gawai is a Judge of Bombay High Court.
In Five year, this is the first time when we see the Judges in Apex court of India in full strength.
Eligibility to become a Supreme Court Judge
A person is eligible to become a Judge in the Apex Court of India when he/she fulfill the below criteria.
- First the person must be a citizen of India
- Second, his/her age will not exceed 65 years as per Article 124.
- He/She must be a Judge of at least one High Court for at least 5 years, or
- An advocate for at least 10 years.
- Also He/She be a Jurist in opinion of President of India as per Article 124.
Right now, the salary of a Judge of Supreme court of India is Rs. 2,50,000 per month. However, If we talk about the salary of Chief Justice of India right now, it is Rs. 2,80,000 per month.
Right now, the total number of Judges in the apex court is 27 as Justice Arjan Kumar Sikri of Delhi High court retires on March 6, 2019. Moreover, Chief Justice Ranjan Gogoi is going to retire on November 11 this year.