On Monday morning, the Election Laws (Amendment) Bill 2021 was passed in the parliament.
The election commission wanted this bill to be passed since 2015.
The bill says, one has to link their Voter ID card with their Aadhaar card to cast the vote.
Amendment in Bill will allow people to register themselves as voters every year on four qualifying dates.
From now onwards 1st January, 1st April, 1st July and 1st October will be the qualifying dates for the revision or the registration of electoral rolls.
Also, amendment in bills has allowed the elections to become gender-neutral.
Is it necessary to link Aadhaar to voter ID?
It has not been made clear that it is compulsory. It would be voluntary for now to link the Aadhaar card with the Voter ID card.
Though it has its own importance as it will ensure “One Person One Vote’’.
To a certain limit, it will curb the multiple votes by a single person which will ultimately ensure fair elections.
What is the full form of EPIC?
EPIC stands for Electoral Photo Identity Card.
Nowadays e-EPIC is available which is a secure pdf version of EPIC.
You can download it by yourself using your mobile phone or laptop.
Is the EPIC card and Voter ID the same?
- Yes, the EPIC card and Voter ID card is same.
- You can download the e-EPIC card from here.
- On Android Device , you can download the card from this link.
- On IOS devices you can download the card from this link.
How to Link Voter ID with Aadhaar Card?
- Visit the Voter Portal.
- Create account if you haven’t created it.
- If you have already created your account, login by using your Mobile Number/ Email ID/ Voter ID Number.
- Enter your Password.
- Fill the required information, proceed further if your data matches with the government database.
- Now, Click on the Feed Aadhaar Card option that you will get on the left side of the website.
- Next, fill in the necessary details on the page that has been popped up.
- Submit your application, you will get a confirmation message of submission.
You can also link your Voter ID card with your Aadhaar card using your phone by SMS. To do so, message your Voter ID number or Aadhaar number to 51969 or 166. Or you can visit your Booth Level Officer (BLO). He/She is a Governmental or Semi-Governmental official appointed to update the Electoral roll.
How to Check Voter ID and Aadhaar Card Link Status?
You can visit the Voter Portal to also check whether your Aadhaar Card and Voter ID Card have been linked or not.
Opposition View on Election Laws (Amendment) Bill 2021
The Opposition parties in the Upper House said the Election Laws Bill had been passed without “discussion or debate”.
What are your views on the Amendment Bill that has been passed?
Let us know in the comment section below.
Read also: How to check your name in Voter List?